Wednesday, September 8, 2010

New Zealand's Earthquake - Take Time to Appreciate

Last week, a number of people from several of my online learning courses who live in Christchurch, New Zealand got to experience what people hope they never have to experience ... an earthquake. In a matter of seconds, somes homes previously safe and secure were now in rubble.

Michael in this group who experienced the earthquake was lucky. His children and wife are safe; his home is still standing and as far as he can see, the structure is still sound.

This is why I love the internet, although it can be a time hog, it always comes down to the people you meet and the lives, albeit from a distance you share. In times like this, it is that sharing that makes you appreciate what you have.

In the spirit of the generousity of sharing, Michael shared this link that gives the story of some of the devastation that some New Zealanders are currently experiencing. It's heartbreaking (the loss of those historical buildings) and yet it shows so much hope. There are two pictures with dogs in them (I'm a dog lover so of course I notice those pictures) and one I think the most telling someone pouring coffee to a police officer. People are good when put to the test. We just need to hear and witness those kinds of stories more often.

Although I hate lectures, I can't help but be moved my these pictures and say 'take time to appreciate your loved ones. We think people will be there forever. Like this earthquake, it can take only a second to lose someone you love. We can replace things, we can never replace those we love.'

So ... here's my question
In what ways do I show the people I love and yes take for granted, how much I appreciate them and how often?

Something we should all be asking

No comments:

Post a Comment